HELP ID this motor

Post all your questions, solutions and concerns....

HELP ID this motor

Postby sundancer » Tue May 14, 2013 9:06 am

I acquired a pile of parts that should yield acomplete Flathead. It was all apart in a pile of 4 total motors and I pulled out everything that was red/orange color. Heads are marked 36X and have front water outlets. Block casting # is 36Y2. o bell housing cast integral so its later block. Cast iron timing gear cover with hole for dizzy. I did get clutch flywheel and bell housing , staterr gen etc. :)
sundancer

Re: HELP ID this motor

Postby mtflat » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Sundancer, welcome to flathead central!

A picture would be worth 1,000 words as the old adage goes.

Without that, almost all the cast numbers on flatheads mean very little and don't help in id'ing.
Heads only marked 36X are likely aftermarket and not much help

Just saw your post on fordbarn - no integral bell is 48 - 54 US/CAN
Anything aluminum? Intake? 3 or 4 bolts where the carb bolts on?
Not much in the way of parts differences in that run - I just order parts in the middle eg.1950 Ford V8
Only significant difference is the 3 3/4" vs. 4" piston stroke.
Tim

...they were right.....the world is flat!
mtflat
Site Administrator

Postby sundancer » Tue May 14, 2013 11:08 am

I will see if I can get someone to take pics and post them as my digital Cannon camera died. I took a '51 Merc motor apart and I plan to use the Merc crank as the block froze at one time and stove in one bore. Are the Ford & Merc cams same ? Just curious as I will be using 3/4 grind or perhaps have one of the ones I acquired reground. Have to order Merc pistons ...correct not the Ford ones ?
sundancer

Postby Ross F-1 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:03 pm

The '51 Merc cam is a very desirable cam! I bet you can sell it for several hundred dollars.
1952 F-1 w/ 239 V8, MSD ignition, Rochester 2G, Red's Headers
Ross F-1
Old Hand

Postby sundancer » Tue May 14, 2013 3:24 pm

So rather than have the cam reground I should use as is ? Condition of lobes is very good. This motor had 28000 miles on it when shoved in a hedge row. So the lift and duration are preety good. Motor when done going into a 1927 T Touring ( steel body) and will be very light...just looking for the rumpety rump idle........Anything else to keep from Merc motor ? Has alum timing cover, Mallory dual point....
sundancer

Postby flatjack » Tue May 14, 2013 6:24 pm

A 3/4 cam is almost the same as the Merc cam. I'd use it.
1929 A coupe, 32 5 window, 36 roadster, 39 DeLuxe coupe, 40 DeLuxe tudor
flatjack
Old Hand

Postby sundancer » Tue May 14, 2013 8:21 pm

That is good news about the cam!. Are the Merc rods same as the Ford ones ? By the way the heads with that number 36X are Ford script heads. The Merc block that was frozen at one time and has cylinder wall pushed in can be sleeved. If I do that to save it can it be punched out oversize or do I have to go back to standard ? Or do they make oversize sleeves and I can open up about and 1/8" olr so ?
sundancer

Postby mtflat » Wed May 15, 2013 12:40 am

The only practical difference between Ford and Merc's were the crank and pistons (wrist pin location) Everything else swaps.

You might cc those heads. Your most desirable would be EAB heads (52/53 Ford) covering a Merc crank/pistons.

I run that combination in my 48 F1 - the extra compression is pretty neat.
Tim

...they were right.....the world is flat!
mtflat
Site Administrator

Return to Q & A General Discussions